This department is presently engaged in execution of a project sponsored by MISEREOR in Germany.
Project No. 131-026-1020 ZG
PROJECT TITLE – PROMOTION OF HUMAN RIGHTS IN THE DIOCESE OF EKITI
PROJECT PERIOD – MAY 1, 2016 – APRIL 30, 2019
PROJECT OVERALL GOAL – A contribution is made towards strengthening (human) right awareness, increasing alternative dispute resolution (ADR) and improving the participation of citizens in government in Ekiti State.
PROJECT OBJECTIVES AND INDICATORS:
- Access to justice for indigent persons awaiting trial in prison custody (ATPs) and other citizens has improved. Indicator: By the end of the funding period, at least 40 indigents ATPs and 30 victims of violations of human rights have achieved access to justice.
- The incidence of gender-based violence and violations of women’s rights has been reduced. Indicator: By the end of the funding period 30 women who are victims of violence or whose human right has been violated, have received public support through the media as well as legal advice and representation.
- The participation of youths in human rights-related activities in their communities has increased. Indicator: Three human rights clubs have been set up by students in three senatorial districts. By the end of the funding period, at least 20 cases of human rights violations have been reported by the students’ human rights clubs.
- Citizen’s participation in representative government in Ekiti State has improved. Indicator: In three targeted senatorial districts, at least three successful town hall meetings have been held.
- Awareness on human rights and ADR among traditional rulers (chiefs) has increased. Indicator: At least 60 cases of alternative dispute resolution have been documented.
PROJECT Measures supported:
- Provide legal representation to indigents persons awaiting trial in prison custody and indigent victims of violations of human rights
- Provide support in cases of alternative dispute resolution
- Organise trainings for traditional rulers (chiefs) on human rights and ADR in three senatorial districts
- Conduct human rights seminars for 300 students in three local government areas
- Produce and broadcast weekly radio programmes on (human) rights-related topics
- Organize a sensitization events to help increase the participation of citizens in political process
- Producing information and education materials
- Awareness-raising on gender-based violence in three local government areas, drama in public places on training and women’s rights